Modern Foreign Language - Spanish
At Rainford CE Primary School, we believe that the learning of a language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our pupils. It helps them to develop valuable communication skills, through speaking, listening, reading and writing, whilst their knowledge of how language works is developed and extended. Our MFL curriculum provides pupils with the confidence and independence to explore and manipulate the structure of language, and by learning only Spanish, our lessons enable pupils to make substantial progress in one language. All of the linguistic skills gained will assist and lay foundations for further language learning, whilst the cultural understanding will ensure that children develop a broad perspective on the world, encouraging them to understand their own cultures and those of others and so enabling them to understand their roles as global citizens.
As a Christian school, we embed our values of love, peace, justice, forgiveness, joy, perseverance and friendship within all our teaching and learning. In particular, MFL allows children to develop their understanding and respect of all people, cultures and beliefs. Language lies at the heart of ideas about individual identity and community, and learning another language can do a great deal to shape children's ideas about themselves and God's world.
In KS2, all of our children have equal opportunities to:
- Communicate in other languages by speaking and listening, reading and writing;
- Develop an enthusiasm and foster an interest in learning languages;
- Develop awareness of the benefits of understandingn and speaking different languages;
- Respect and develop an awareness of cultural differences and similarities in other countries;
- Become involved in the international dimension of school;
- Develop transferable speaking and listening skills;
- Lay foundations for future study for KS3