Our local offer is information for parents/carers of children who have Special Educational Needs (SEN) or a disability, and all of those who support children with additional needs. The information outlines the support and provision they can expect to receive whilst attending this school.

How are Special Educational Needs defined?

The term 'special educational needs' has a legal definition, referring to children who have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. Many children will have special needs of some kind at some time during their education.

If your child has special educational needs, they may need extra help in a range of areas, for example:

  • schoolwork
  • reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
  • making friends or relating to adults
  • behaving properly in school
  • organising themselves
  • some kind of sensory or physical needs which may affect them in school

How will the school know if my child needs additional help and how will the school share information with me?

We try to identify pupils with SEN as early as possible.  The progress of children is regularly monitored and reviewed. 

We identify children as having SEN through:

·         Liaison with the pre-school/nursery/previous school.

·         The pupil performing below the expected levels.

·         Concerns raised by parents.

·         Concerns raised by the teacher.

·         Information from outside agencies.

If the pupil is failing to achieve in the first instance the class teacher will speak to the parents of the pupil and discuss interventions that can be put in place.  Should the pupil continue to have difficulties; showing limited progress, the SENDCo will become involved and outside agencies will be consulted with the parent’s permission.  Information gained from assessments will be shared with the parent’s through either a formal report or feedback at a review meeting.

An Individual Education Plan (IEP) will be written with individual targets for your child to work on.  These will be set at the review meeting and reviewed at the review meeting in the following term.   The targets set are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time related).  Targets are written with the expectation that they will be achieved by the next review meeting. 

Who should I contact if I have any questions or concerns about my child's SEND?

The SENDCo oversees all support and the progress of children needing additional support. .

Initially concerns should be raised with the class teacher and interventions put in place.  If the difficulties are more complex the SENDCo will oversee targets set and the interventions to be put in place.  It may be decided that a Teaching Assistant needs to work with your child on a one to one basis or within a small group or support put in place in other ways; this will be discussed at the review meeting.

How will the school involve me as a parent and my child in meeting our SEND needs and in general school life?

·         Planning and review meetings

·         Advice on how to support learning at home 

·         Regular contact between home and school, e.g. home/ school book, email or text

·         Individual pupil/ teacher conversations

What different kinds of support are available to children with SEN?

·         Curriculum adaptations/differentiation

·         Support for behaviour

·         Specified individual support

·         Support for health needs

·         Grouping of pupils

·         Specific individual support

·         Specialist teaching groups 

·         Support for communication needs/ assistive technologies


We also liaise with the following outside agencies in order to help us support children with special education needs:

·         Speech therapists

·         Educational Psychologist

·         Literacy Support Service

·         LASC (Language and Social Communication)

·         EAL team (English as an Additional Language)

·         Dyslexia screening

·         Behaviour Improvement Team


How will the school know how well my child is doing and how will they inform me about this?

We offer an open door policy; you can make an appointment any time to meet with either the class teacher, SENDCo to discuss how things are going.  Termly review meetings are arranged for you to discuss the targets on the IEP.  Children that have a statement or EHC will have an annual review where all adults involved are invited to attend.

We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers; therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly.

As a school we measure children’s progress in learning against national expectations; this is monitored by the class teacher regularly.  We track this progress from Year 1 to Year 6.  Reception children are assessed through the foundation stage curriculum.  We have formal assessments that take place at the end of Key Stage 1 and 2.

We also like to invite you into school for the chance to speak to the teacher during our termly parent evenings.

How will the school support my child’s physical and/or medical needs?

Most of the staff have undertaken First Aid training, with several members of staff specialising in paediatric First Aid. In addition, staff are regularly trained to deal with children with asthma and allergies. The school has a defibrillator machine and most members of staff have been trained to use this. If a child has a medical need, then a care plan may be drawn up in consultation with parents, carers and health professionals. All relevant adults working in school will then be given a copy of the agreed care plan.

We currently liaise with the following professionals in order to help us support children with physical and medical needs:

  • School nurse
  • Asthma/allergy teams
  • Occupational therapists
  • Healthy eating team
  • Speech therapists
  • Audiologist (hearing)
  • Vision nurse
  • Paediatric clinics
  • Children’s Disability Team
  • Schools’ Inclusion Team


How will the school support my child who has social and emotional needs?

We work very closely with families to ensure that all children feel emotionally equipped to handle daily school life. This can include offering counselling support, setting up behaviour groups, helping with transition to High School or supporting children with mental health issues. If you have any concerns or questions, then please contact Mrs Shawcross (SENCo)

We currently liaise with the following professionals in order to help us support children with social and emotional needs:

  • CAMHS (Child Mental Health Service)
  • Paediatric clinics
  • Children’s Disability Team
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Schools’ Inclusion Team
  • BIT (Behaviour Support)
  • Specialist child counselling support

How is the school accessible to children with SEND?

The school has wheelchair access and is on one level. A disabled toilet is available. All classroom doors are wide enough for wheelchair access and ramps are in place for four external entrances at various locations around the school. There are disabled car parking spaces on the front car park. Any parent with a disabled child should contact the Head teacher for further information regarding admission arrangements

We have a number of smaller teaching spaces around the site that can be used for focussed group work.

How will the school ensure that my child will be included in all activities at school, after school clubs and on school trips?

All SEND pupils are included in all parts of the school curriculum.  We aim for all children to be included in PE and school trips.  Pupils will be asked to take part in PE as best as they can and will not be expected to do anything they are unable to do.  

There are a range of clubs on offer in school led by members of staff, Major Sports or another independent organisation.  Clubs not run by the school will incur a cost.  There is an After School Club which is led by members of staff after school until 5.55pm each day. 

Each year group attends trips linked to the topics they are studying.    Parents may be invited to attend trips but if unable the pupil will be supported by a member of school staff.  A risk assessment is carried out prior to each trip naming the needs of specific children where necessary.  In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity,  alternative activities will be provided in school.

How will the school support my child to change classes and/or move on to a new school when they reach the appropriate stage(s)?

We take transition very seriously and make steps to make it as smooth as possible.  

Transition from PreSchool to Year 5 involves a meeting between the new and old teacher.  Children moving to our school from another setting in Early Years will receive a home visit and be invited into school for a meeting also. A session for the children to meet the new teacher in the new classroom takes place in the summer term.  Additional visits can be scheduled and sometimes a book is made with photographs of key individuals and areas within the class/year group/school to have over the summer holiday.  This helps the pupil become familiar with the new adults and new surroundings. 

For Year 6 pupils, the secondary SENDCo is invited to the summer term review, the pupils also attend an organised transition day to visit the school and attend lessons.  If additional visits are required these can be arranged.

For further information, please contact Mrs Shawcross (SENCo)

Link to St Helens Council Local Offer Here

Link to St Helens Council Graduated Approach Here


Files to Download