At Rainford CE, Pupils will grow in appreciation of the impact of design technology on the creativity, culture and prosperity of the nation. By using their developing knowledge, drawn from across a range of subjects including mathematics, science and art and design, pupils will develop their capacity to become innovative problem solvers.
Through our design technology curriculum, we intend our pupils to develop their creativity, imagination and resilience to produce meaningful and purposeful products which take into account the needs, wants and values of their intended users. The children at Rainford C of E Primary School are made aware that the best products are not made from their first design, but from a process of trial, practise and improvement.
We have designed our design and technology curriculum to build up pupils' knowledge and skills and to inspire pupils to be forward thinking and passionate about their ideas, willing to take risks. We provide opportunities for our children to solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts through the process of evaluating past and present design, designing, making and evaluation of their product.
A child in Rainford C of E Primary School will be able to:
- Evaluate products and uses these evaluations to inform their planning,
- Design purposeful and appealing products,
- Use a range of tools to perform practical tasks,
- Improve their products by re-evaluating,
- Discuss marketing ideas for their product (links to industry),
- Identify healthy food groups and prepare healthy meals.(links to home)
We follow the aims of the 2014 National Curriculum for design technology, which state that children should:
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday
- tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design
- and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.