At Rainford CE Primary School we strive to ensure that all children become successful, fluent readers by the end of Key Stage One and believe this is achievable through a combination of strong, high quality, discrete phonics teaching combined with a whole language approach that promotes a ‘Love of Reading’ culture.
We believe that high quality teaching of phonics is the key to developing independent readers and this is given the highest priority. We want ‘every child to be a reader’ and we implement a rigorous and sequential approach to developing speaking and listening and teaching reading, writing and spelling through systematic phonics.
Phonics is a way of teaching children to read quickly and skilfully. Children are taught how to:
- recognise the sounds that each individual letter
- identify the sounds that different combinations of letters make such as ‘sh’ or ‘oo’.
- blend these sounds together from left to right to make a
- Children can then use this knowledge to decode new words that they hear or
Our School Aims:
- To teach children aural discrimination, phonemic awareness and rhyme awareness to support application into reading and writing.
- To encourage repetition and consolidation, so that decoding and the skills of segmenting and blending are
- To encourage children to segment and blend as a way into fluent and automatic reading, writing and spelling.
At Rainford C.E. Primary School we follow the Read Write Inc programme to teach phonics and reading in Reception and into Key Stage 1. Our Nursery children are immersed in phonics activities that support the development of their Communication and Language skills. Our main aim is that our children develop their phonological awareness, to deepen their knowledge of blending and segmenting and reading and that they become fluent readers.