Mrs Shawcross is the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO), she is also a member of the School Management Team and holds the National Award for SEN Coordination.

This is information for parents/carers of children who have Special Educational Needs (SEN) or a disability, and all of those who support children with additional needs. The information outlines the support and provision they can expect to receive whilst attending this school.

How are Special Educational Needs defined?

The term 'special educational needs' has a legal definition, referring to children who have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. Many children will have special needs of some kind at some time during their education. The four broad ‘areas of need’ are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs.


What is the Local Offer?

Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area. A link for St Helen’s Local Offer can be found at the end of this page. 


The School SEND Information Report

This utilises the Local Authorities Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

We embrace the fact that every child is different, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child are different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs.


Below are some questions you may have about SEND provision at Hadrian primary School. Please scroll down towards the end of the document for a Glossary of Terms and Abbreviations.


How does Rainford C E School know if children need extra help?

We try to identify pupils with SEN as early as possible We know when pupils need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child
  • Limited progress is being made
  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress
  • Information from outside agencies.


At any stage of the process, from the early identification stage through to the move to an EHCP, the school adheres to the same cycle of effective provision. All children receive inclusive quality first teaching in our school and most will make expected progress. For those who do not, the class teacher will identify a child’s need and decide for any adjustments or interventions. This is a four-part process which is described in the graduated approach for St Helens.

  • Assess
  • Plan
  • Do
  • Review

Who should I contact if I have any questions or concerns about my child's SEND?

The SENDCo oversees all support and the progress of children needing additional support. Initially concerns should be raised with the class teacher and interventions put in place.  If the difficulties are more complex the SENDCo will oversee targets set and the interventions to be put in place. 


How will I know how Rainford C E will support my child?

A SEND support plan will be written and agreed by the parents, pupil, teacher and SENDCo. This will consist of two or three manageable targets which will be reviewed termly. The targets set are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time related). 

Each pupil’s educational provision will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.

If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy and literacy skills etc. then the pupil will be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of this intervention will vary according to need, but will be reviewed to find out if it has been effective and decide where to go next.

A pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency. The school or parent can make a referral. The school will support the practitioners involved where possible.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • Specialist equipment is provided to make classroom life easier, such as concentration cushions, tangle toys, writing aids and some pupils have laptops to record their work

Specific group work/Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).
  • Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy, Outreach support. This means a pupil has been identified by the SENDCo as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from Local Authority central services, such as the LASC or the Behaviour Support Team


What could happen:

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist. This would help the school and you to understand your child’s needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional could work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

How will the school know how well my child is doing and how will they inform me about this?

We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers; therefore, we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly. In order to do this we ensure parents:

  • are able to discuss their child’s progress at parents’ evenings.
  • are able to make appointments via the office if they wish to speak in more detail with the class teacher and/or SENDCo.  Mrs Shawcross is available Monday to Wednesday to meet with parents and professionals.
  • have their child’s SEND support plan that provides information about how their child is achieving and progressing and have the opportunity to will meet termly.


How will my child’s progress be measured?

 Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

The Assistant Head teacher, Mrs Thompson is also the Assessment Co-ordinator who monitors progress and achievement.

If your child is in Year 1 or above and not working at age-related expectations, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used, which shows their attainment in more detail – breaking learning down into smaller steps.

At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally. From September 2021, children starting school will undertake a statutory baseline assessment at the beginning of their reception year 

Where necessary, children will have a SEND support action plan including targets set by outside agencies specific to their needs. These are designed to accelerate learning and narrow any gaps. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan made.

The progress of children with an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENCo, other members of the Senior Management Team and subject co-ordinators to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high


How will the school support my child’s physical and/or medical needs?

If a child has a medical need, then a care plan may be drawn up in consultation with parents, carers and health professionals. All relevant adults working in school will then be given a copy of the agreed care plan.

If a pupil has a medical need than an individual healthcare plan is compiled by the SENDCo in consultation with parents/carers.


How will the school support my child who has social and emotional needs?

We work very closely with families to ensure that all children feel emotionally equipped to handle daily school life. This can include offering pastoral support, setting up behaviour groups, helping with transition to High School or supporting children with mental health issues. If you have any concerns or questions, then please contact Mrs Shawcross.


We currently liaise with the following professionals and outside agencies in order to help us support children with SEND:


  • Speech therapists
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Literacy Support Servic
  • LASC (Language and Social Communication
  • Behaviour Improvement Team
  • Local Authority Inclusion team
  • School nurse
  • Asthma/allergy teams
  • Occupational therapists
  • Healthy Living Team
  • CAMHS (Child Mental Health Service)
  • Paediatric clinics
  • Children’s Disability Team
  • Educational Psychologist
  • BIT (Behaviour Support)
  • Language Outreach Support
  • Occupational Therapy and physiotherapy
  • Portage and Pre-School Service
  • Social Services
  • Education Welfare Officer
  • EHAT Team (advice and support for Early Help Plans)
  • Children and Young People’s Well-Being Panel
  • Parent/Carer SEND voluntary groups; Listen 4 a Change,
  • IASS
  • Incredible Years Parenting Team


How is the school accessible to children with SEND?

The school has wheelchair access and is on one level. A disabled toilet is available. All classroom doors are wide enough for wheelchair access and ramps are in place for four external entrances at various locations around the school. There are disabled car parking spaces on the front car park. Any parent with a disabled child should contact the Head teacher for further information regarding admission arrangements. The school’s accessibility plan is available on the website.


How will the school ensure that my child will be included in all activities at school, after school clubs and on school trips?

All students are included in school activities and trips. For students with additional needs there will be student specific risk assessments completed and adequate support, where appropriate, will be put in place to ensure a safe and successful trip for all. If it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.


How will the school support my child to change classes and/or move on to a new school when they reach the appropriate stage(s)?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

 If your child is joining us from another school:

Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate. The SENCo will liaise with the previous school in preparation for transfer.

If your child is moving to another school:

We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.

We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:

Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. SEND support Plans will be shared with the new teacher.


In Year 6:

 The SENCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of the child’s secondary school.

Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.

Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.


What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had?


  • All teachers and TAs have had training on Dyslexia friendly classrooms, Team Teach, Child Protection Awarenes, TEACHH approach
  • Most staff have attended training on ASD and behaviour management
  • A number of TAs have worked 1:1 with the Educational Psychologist and the teacher for pupils with a Specific Learning Difficulty on how to deliver a range of strategies to support literacy and numeracy needs
  • The speech and language therapist has delivered 1:1 training to some TAs
  • Staff receive Epipen and asthma awareness training annually.
  • A number of Supervisory Assistants, teachers and Teaching Assistants have regular First Aid Training and Paediatric First Aid Training.
  • Mrs Shawcross has regular training on all matters concerned with Inclusion (for example, Child Protection and Safeguarding, SENCO Conferences and LAC Designated Teacher Training). She also attends a number of network groups: SENDCo, Safeguarding and Mental Health and Well-being.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The school budgets include money for supporting children with SEND.

The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.

The SEND budget is allocated for each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on an individual’s needs.

The school can apply to the Local Authority for Top-Up Funding for a pupil if they have a high level of need and costs exceed that which has already been allocated to school funds for that pupil.

The SENCo holds a small budget for aids/resources and some CPD.

During examinations SEN pupils may qualify for extra time, someone to write or read for them or have rest breaks.


How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

 These decisions are made in consultation with the parent, SENDCo, Head Teacher and class teacher. Some decisions are informed by advice from outside agency recommendations and termly tracking of pupil progress.


Making a Complaint

If you want to complain about a school’s SEND support, you should do it while your child is still registered at the school. This includes complaints that the school has not provided the support required by your child’s SEND education, health and care plan (EHCP).

  • Talk to the school’s special educational needs and disability co-ordinator (SENCO)- Mrs Shawcross
  • Follow the school’s complaints procedure.
  • Complain to your local authority.

To ensure that your child is receiving the support they need in school, you may want to first seek information and advice from SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Services). Contact for SENDIASS is available on St Helens Local Offer.


How can SENDIASS help you?

The service offers parents/carers, children and young people information, advice and support on:

  • matters relating to their disabilities, health and social care
  • the law in relation to SEN and disability, health and social care
  • gathering, understanding and interpreting information and applying it to your situation
  • the take-up and management of personal budgets



For further information, please contact Mrs Shawcross (SENCo)

Link to St Helens Council Local Offer Here

Link to St Helens Council Graduated Approach Here


Files to Download