At Rainford CE Primary School, we recognise the importance of science in every aspect of daily life and how vital it is to the world's future prosperity. As a core subject at Rainford CE, we give teaching and learning in science the prominence it requires.
Through our science curriculum, we increase pupils' knowledge and undertanding of key science knowledge and concepts. We also develop skills associated with science as a process of enquiry, evaluation and explanation. We aim to develop the natural curiosity of each child, encourage respect for living organisms and the physical environment.
The National Curriculum provides the structure for our KS1 and KS2 science curriculum, whilst the early learning goals related to Understanding the World provide tne structure for our youngest pupils. Our Curriculum Planning uses resources from Developing Experts which is an online resource designed with the help of world experts from industry and university. Both KS1 and KS2 follow a two-year cycle. Each cycle has been planned to ensure knowledge and skill development within and across phases. We endeavour to ensure that our science curriculum will give children the confidence and motivation to continue to develop their knowledge and skills into their next stage of education and life experience.
Throughout their primary education, all of our children have equal opportunity to:
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
- become equipped with the scientific knowledge and skills required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future
- use a range of methods to present their scientific information, exploiting cross-curricular links with computing, English and maths
- develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own and other children’s safety.
- develop an enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery alongside awe and wonder and curiosity about the world around them
- understand the power of rational explanation